Friday, January 17, 2014

Surrounded by Assassins!

Here is a transcript of back-and-forth emails with my editor today while she edited my Gold & Resource Trader issue.

Since I like her, and wish to protect her identity, I shall simply identify her as"Editrix" ...


Editrix –

Hey Sean,

Just started it and I’m not sure what the highlighted word is supposed to be in the following sentence:

"In fact, the S&P 500 went wobbly at the knees after blerrging out downright negative earnings news yesterday."


My reply –

That’s a word I made up. I do that sometimes. You don’t like it?


Editrix –

Sean, It’s not that I don’t like it. lol. But I checked with the editorial authorities that be and they overruled it. Do you have another word choice you’d like to go with?


My reply –

You know, Shakespeare made up more than 1,700 words, including “zany” and “madcap.”

Lewis Carroll’s Jabberwocky is a compendium of made-up words that are now in the English language.

I should be able to make up “blerrging.” It’s quite descriptive.

If our editorial authorities cannot handle it, then I take them for qualling, weather-bitten mammets. Nay, further, they are dull and muddy-mettled clotpoles. It’s their loss.

And in that case, use “vomiting.”


Editrix –

 “Vomiting” it is. :-p
 



1 comment:

  1. To be fair, Shakespeare invented modern English, helped translate the King James Bible, and is the most famous playwright in human history. So he can get away with stuff.

    You, in contrast, called Rye Patch a buy last year. So you get a tighter leash. :-)

    ReplyDelete